Personal Coaching Services
The purpose of coaching is to take you further in your training than you can take yourself. We excel at helping runners . . .
- Train for first marathon, half marathon or ultra
- Run faster. Achieve a personal record (PR) or Boston qualifying time.
- Run further. Safely train for back to back marathons and mileage increases while minimizing injuries.
- Get your fitness back. Systematically build your fitness to its pre-injury level.
- Run more efficiently. Fine tune your nutrition, fueling, and form.
- Implementation of race day strategy. Your coach will help you evaluate the course and formulate a solid plan for getting through the tough parts of your marathon.
- Stay motivated -develop positive habits that last a lifetime.
When you sign up for coaching we immediately send you a detailed coaching questionnaire (it covers everything from current health status, goals, past running stats/accomplishments, history of injury, time availability, current fueling, etc).
Based on your answers we place you with a MTA coach that would be a good fit and who has current openings. Your personal coach would then contact you via email with any follow-up questions that they have and also answer any initial questions that you have about the process.
Your coach will develop the first part of your training plan (usually around 2 weeks at a time). Most coaches want their clients to check in with a summary of their workouts at least once a week and your coach is available to answer any questions you have and make modifications to your training schedule as needed too. Communication is done via email.
We have clients from all over the world taking their running to the next level. Put the power of MTA Coaching into your training!
Pricing and Availability
As a client you will be charged the personal coaching payment of $150 a month. Coaching spots fill on a first come first served basis.
*We are currently have 2 spots open for new clients. Spots are are filled on a first come first served basis.
The coaching payment is re-billed each month until client cancels. We do request that you commit to a minimum of 3 months (most clients stay much longer). It’s hard for the coach to get the best results for you in less than 3 months.
As a coaching client you also get the benefits of Basic Academy Membership which includes access to all premium training lessons, videos, bonus interviews, back podcast episodes and our awesome private Facebook group.
Coaching Sign Up Form
Please review the following Coaching Waiver before signing up.
By ordering MTA coaching services you agree to the following:
or sign up with
Meet the MTA Coaches . . .
Coach Angie Spencer
- Co-Founder of Marathon Training Academy
- Bachelor of Science from Montana State University. Registered Nurse for over 15 years
- RRCA Level 2 and USATF Level 1 Certified Running Coach
- Veteran of over 55 Marathons and Ultras
- Boston Marathon qualifier
- Lover of books and dark chocolate!
Coach Jennifer O’Donnell-Giles
- Registered Dietitian with dual Masters Degree in Nutrition and Exercise Physiology from Columbia University
- Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics
- Ten time marathon finisher, Boston finisher, two time Ironman finisher and a three time Team USA Triathlete.
- RRCA certified with 20 years experience as a coach
- Believes that “There is an Athlete in Everyone” and with sound training and fueling guidance each athletes true potential can be realized.
Coach Lynn Grieger
- RRCA Certified Running Coach
- Registered Dietitian and Certified Health and Wellness Coach
- Has run a marathon in all 50 states after the age of 40
- Over 25 years coaching experience
- Her passion is to encourage runners to reach for their dreams one practical step at a time. It’s never too late to chart a healthy path!
Coach Chris Galaty
- RRCA Certified Running Coach
- 2:50 Marathoner; 19 marathon finishes; Ironman Triathlete
- Former high school cross-country and track & field coach; lives and trains in China
- A teacher at heart, his passion is to help runners to meet their goals without injury and see runners mentally and physically motivated to continue to train and race for many, many years.
Coach Dominique Hamel
- RRCA Level 2 and USATF Certified Running Coach
- Over 60 marathon finishes, with 13 ultras including the prestigious Comrades and Two Oceans Marathons in South Africa.
- Over 17 years of coaching; has lived and coached in Canada, U.S., Europe, and South Africa.
- Loves to inspire clients to enjoy the sport as well as teaching them the necessary techniques, form and competition mechanism.
Coach Steve Waldon
- RRCA Certified Running Coach
- 2:53 marathoner; 25 marathon finishes; nine 50 mile finishes; two 100Ks; finisher of the Atacama Desert Crossing -155 mile self-supported stage race
- Paces the 3:30 group at the New York City Marathon every year
- A self-professed running geek who loves to dive into the science of training
Coach Athena Farias
- RRCA Certified Running Coach, Certified Personal Trainer, Exercise Physiologist
- Masters in Exercise Science and Health Promotion
- 15 marathons (5 Boston qualifiers), 5 ultras, and numerous obstacle race 1st place finishes.
- Endurance junkie and lover of all things trail running!
Coach Joel Royal Pearson
- Master of Science in Sport Management, RRCA Level 2, Holds the highest certification in USATF and IAAF with distinction
- Director of Cross Country and Track & Field for Harrier Track Club
- Collegiate Head Coach, Course Instructor for USATF
- 2:49:41 marathoner; 23 year running streak
What Clients are Saying . . .
I’ve had Angie as a coach now for a little over a year and it has been the best money I’ve ever spent regarding my running. I’ve started to PRd in nearly every race I run since starting with her and cut over 30 min off my marathon time so far. -JJ Stark-Christian
MTA coach Chris Galaty is fabulous! I am a mid pack runner, however in these three weeks I’ve had a coach I have never been more accountable or motivated to run and adhere to the plan. -Emma Walsh
I truly appreciate all the assistance provided by Coach Dominique Hamel. I appreciate her patience with answering my questions, helping me overcome injuries and weaknesses, developing and adjusting (and readjusting) a personal training plan and ultimately getting me across the finishing line of my 1st marathon in Memphis. I really am proud that I ran a marathon at 52, something I never imagined I would do. I learned so much from Coach Dom and hope someday to say I’ve run 5, 10, 15+ marathons. Thanks for everything Coach. -Sincerely, Mark Perry.
I’ve learned so much from Coach Steven in the past 6 months, and I kept his advice in my mind, and I think that’s what helped me to have a decent start and not completely fall apart in the end. All I can say is “thanks”! — it’s been very challenging, but so much fun. -Mitch Goldstein
I’d also like to pass along my sincere thanks to MTA Coach Dominique. She has guided me through nearly five months of training leading up to the Chicago marathon and I could have never reached this goal so seamlessly without her help. She kept me on track with my training and was truly a coaching chameleon – she pushed me when I needed it, held me back when I needed it, and instilled an unwavering sense of confidence in me as I progressed through my training plan. By the time I toed the start line in Chicago I was certain that I would cross the finish line, and I think that level of confidence is a luxury that many first time marathoners don’t have. -Melissa Rutzen
Angie Spencer is my coach for well over a year at this point. I’ve consistently gotten faster and less injury prone over that time frame. I’ve been achieving PR’s at every distance, yet I’m running fewer training miles than I did prior to MTA coaching. -Jon Lepley MD.
Last Sunday I ran my first marathon. My coach, Chris Galaty, trained me so well. He prepared me for the tough times in the race. Luckily I ran the first half of the race to the plan we had discussed, and by mile 20 I was feeling awesome and started speeding up. I finished with a strong sprint through the finish line to the cheers of the crowd, and ended with a time of 4:43:48, about 32 minutes faster than I was planning on. It was the most amazing feeling! -Emily Eiland
I’ve gone through a transformation in the last 7 months , from having a terrible 1st marathon experience, to having a fabulous 80K ultra last weekend . The big transformation is how I relax more about my running and really enjoying so many of its different aspects. I’m so grateful for you guidance over the last 7 months , without question you have transformed me from the clueless marathon guy who hobbled over the finishing line in terrible pain into a aerobic runner who now can dream of a 100K runs and beyond (and who owns a yoga mat!). -Enda Cleary
Client Profile Stories . . .
- Mitch Goldstein -Powered by the MTA Community and Coaching
- Eric Hamm -Marine loses 100 pounds, finishes MCM
- Judith Dahl -Putting the bottle down, lifting her running spirits up
- Karima Modjadidi -BQ Success Story after Injury
- Pat McCain -MTA: Where Coaching and Camaraderie Meet
- Foti Panagakos -130 Races And Counting
- Henry Howard -From Injured to Boston Qualifier
- Debbie Gelber -A Vow to Exercise, Lose Weight
- Dan Savage -From Barely Walking to Ultra Running
- Jon Lepley -It Takes a Village to Build a Marathoner