In this podcast episode we speak with metabolic expert and performance coach Angelo Poli from MetPro about how to recondition the body’s metabolism and fuel like an athlete.
Metabolism and Nutrition with Angelo Poli
Angelo Poli is a personal trainer, metabolism expert, and co-founder of MetPro.co. As you will hear in this interview he walked with a cane for ten years before transforming his approach to health and fitness.
I’m been working with the coaches at MetPro since late 2018. We first focused on weight loss and after six months I was able to drop 30 pounds. Then we shifted to performance goals which involved keeping the weight off while introducing more carbs to sustain my marathon training. I was able to PR in the marathon running 3:19:55 at the age of 41.
In this conversation you will hear why habits beat motivation, why values are better than goals, and take a look behind the curtain as Angelo explains how he uses contrast to help clients recondition their metabolism.
A Day in the Life on MetPro (My Daily Routine)
Here’s an example of what a day in my life looked like last week. *Note: MetPro Coaching is individualized based on your personal goals. I think I heard Angelo say that there are 670 meal plan variations in the app. So, the amounts and combinations that I eat would be different from someone else on MetPro.
- I’m up by 6:00 and do twenty minutes of meditation.
- Pre-breakfast: juiced lemon in warm water, Athletic Greens in 12 oz water, green tea
- Get the kids out the door to school + personal reading
- Breakfast: bowl of oatmeal with chia seeds, scoop collagen protein (unflavored), slivered almonds, and frozen mixed fruit
- Five mile run. (The distance varies depending on the day).
- Mid-morning snack: the other half of my bowl of oatmeal from breakfast
- Strength training workout. On this particular day I did an upper body workout from the MetPro app. I strength train 4X a week.
- Post-workout: protein drink (Hammer Whey or Fairlife Protein Drink)
- Sit in sauna for 30-40 minutes if I have time. (Two years ago we splurged and bought a Finnleo infrared sauna.
- Work on my computer (exciting right?)
- Lunch: chopped salad, Kodiak cake protein waffle with 2 T. almond butter.
- 2 hour work block before kids get home from school or I have other errands.
- Afternoon snack: apple, 1/2 c. 1% cottage cheese
- Connect with kids, start dinner, and do bit of reading.
- Dinner: on this particular day we had salmon cakes, baked potatoes, and green beans.
- Take kids to evening practices and dinner cleanup
- 60-90 minutes of reading, drink hot tea, get ready for bed.
- 9:00 in bed, read a bit, asleep by 9:30 (no exciting night life for me).
Also Mentioned in This Episode
MetPro. Speak with a Metabolic Expert to review your current habits, discuss your lifestyle needs and receive actionable steps toward achieving your goals whether it is to lose weight or change your body composition. Use our link to get $500 off their concierge coaching!
The Runner’s High 100 Mile Challenge -check out our new distance challenge inspired by the Matterhorn.
Athletic Greens. Get a FREE 1 year supply of immune-supporting Vitamin D AND 5 FREE travel packs with your first purchase.