*[Audio Content Available For Members Only. Click Here to Join Now]
In this episode we speak with Dr. Chris Napier, Canadian runner and author of the book The Science of Running -Analyze Your Technique, Prevent Injury, and Revolutionize Your Training.
Interview with Dr. Chris Napier
Chris Napier, PhD. is a Canadian physical therapist and Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Physical Therapy at the University of British Columbia, and is an avid marathon runner.
The Science of Running is a very helpful book packed full of diagrams, anatomical figures, and practical hands-on information including running anatomy, injury prevention (common injuries, dynamic stretches, drills, recovery stretches), strength exercises for foot, ankle/hip, and knee/core, and how to train effectively.
Here are some of the points we cover in this interview:
- The phases of the running cycle (initial contact, midstance, toe off, swing, float).
- How can we minimize impact during the “loading phase”?
- Will running ruin your knees?
- Things that an older runner can do to reduce their risk of injury.
- Should a person try to retrain themselves to land more on their forefoot?
- What a runner can do to improve their form right now.
- Is the optimal cadence really 180 steps per minute?
- Incorporating strength work to improve your running.
Also Mentioned in This Episode
Chris Napier’s Twitter: @runnerphysio
Coach Soak -Bath soaks that restore and soothe your sore muscles and joints so you can perform at your best. MTA listeners save 15% on their first order at CoachSoak.com. Use promo code “MTA” at checkout.”
Athletic Greens -Go to www.athleticgreens.com/mta and claim your special offer today – 20 FREE travel packs valued at $79 with your first purchase.
The Social Distancing Run
We now have over 7,000 runners signed up . . . every state in the USA and every Canadian province + Yukon and Nunavut; every Australian state plus AUS Capital Territory and The Northern Territory.
And the following countries: Austria; Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, Indonesia, Netherlands, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, china, Croatia, Czech Republic, France, Hungry, Iceland, Italy, Mexico, Malta, Luxembourg, Lithuania, Monaco, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Poland.