[Audio Content Available For Members Only. Click Here to Join Now]
Ben Greenfield reached out to us when we first started the MTA podcast five years ago. We have had him on the show every year since and he never fails to deliver great value to our listers. This episode is no exception!
In this interview you will hear him throw down tips on how runners can build muscular strength, obstacle racing mania, common mistakes he sees new runners make, nutritional misinformation, fueling for endurance, meditation, elevation training, chocolate milk, eating fruit post-exercise, drinking craft beer, and more!
Questions for Ben Greenfield
Ben Greenfield is a fitness and nutrition expert who was named by Greatest as one of the top 100 most influential individuals in health and fitness.
He is a NY Times best selling author of Beyond Training – Mastering Endurance, Health and Life.
Ben and his family live in Spokane, Washington.
- How many different podcasts do you host?
- Tell us a little about yourself, what does the journey to becoming a fitness guru look like?
- What’s up with your love of obstacle racing?
- What kind of beasts are winning obstacle races these days?
- How do every day runners build more muscular strength?
- For people who are trying to get in shape (new runners) what are some of the common mistakes you have seen?
- What do you think of Generation Ucan versus other packaged fuels?
- What do you think about essentials oils?
- Is chocolate milk a suitable recovery drink, and how does it compare with other options like a smoothie, Heed or coconut water? -Henry H.
- Does it help to wear an elevation training mask? Does this help with preparing for altitude? -Beth B. / Ryan D.
- Is fruit after a workout really bad? -Elspeth A.
- What do you think of drinking craft beer? Healthy or unhealthy? -Trevor
- Do you ever waste time watching mindless Youtube videos? -Trevor
Also Mentioned in this Episode. . .
Fat Adapted Pizza Recipe! Gluten free and so easy even I can make it (which says a lot).
1.5 cups shredded mozzarella
¾ cup almond flour or meal
2 oz cream cheese
Pizza sauce and additional cheese and toppings
Parchment paper and cookie sheet
Put mozzarella and cream cheese in a greased saucepan and heat on low until just melted, stirring often. Or microwave in glass bowl for 60 seconds or until just melted. Remove from heat and stir in egg & almond flour. Wet hands and spread “dough” thin on parchment paper (may want to use spatula). It should spread evenly with dough-like consistency (if “stringy” then your cheese has hardened too much—just put it back in the warming pan for another 20 seconds)-Dock (poke rows of holes) into the crust with a fork to avoid bubbling -Sprinkle with garlic salt.
Bake in 400 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until slightly brown on top. Remove from oven and add a layer of pizza sauce, your desired amount of meat (pre-cooked), veggies, cheese, and then sprinkle on oregano and basil. Bake for another 5-10 minutes or just until cheese is melted. –Serves 2-3. We always double the recipe for our family of 5.
From Angie’s Fat Adapted Eating Plan
Does this image make you hungry?