*Audio Content Available For Members Only. Click Here to Join Now
In this episode we talk with Stephanie Howe the winner of this year’s Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run.
Stephanie finished in 18:01:42 -the fourth fastest female finishing time recorded in WS history.
She is also a running coach, a North Face sponsored athlete and a PhD student at Oregon State University with a minor in nutrition and major in exercise physiology.
Interview with Stephanie Howe
- When did you start running and why? Have you participated in any other sports?
- Why did you start doing ultra-marathons?
- Who are your mentors or heroes in the running world?
- The Western States 100 was your first 100 mile race. How did you train to be ready? How did you prepare mentally for 100 miles?
- What was your race strategy? Did you have any pacers?
- At what point did you know that you were going to win? What were your thoughts and emotions after crossing the finish line?
- Do you incorporate any cross training or other exercises in your training regimen?
- Are fast ultra-marathoners usually fast marathoners as well?
- What is your nutritional philosophy and how do you fuel during races?
- How has your study of exercise physiology impacted your training?
- What common mistakes do aspiring ultra runners make?
- Do you have a bucket list of races that you’d like to do? How do you choose which races to participate in?
Finding Stephanie Online
Personal blog www.stephaniemariehowe.blogspot.com/
Coaching page www.endurancebystephanie.com/
The Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run
This is the most big daddy of ultra-marathons in the USA. The course starts in Squaw Valley, CA and ends 100 miles later in Auburn, CA.
Also Mentioned in this Episode
irunfar.com – in this episode’s quick tip we mentioned our fav website for keeping up with all things ultra-marathon.
photo credit: Stephanie Howe
I liked hearing how Stephanie fueled for Western States and that she likes jumping over sticks and rocks on the trails. Congrats to Stephanie for winning the race!
Glad you enjoyed the interview!