In 2007 she set the women’s U.S. 100-mile trail record at the Rocky Raccoon Ultramarathon. She has also won numerous trail and road races and has run a 2:45 marathon, which qualified her for the Olympic Marathon trials.
She is perhaps best known from Christopher McDougall’s best-selling book Born to Run in which she is one of the main characters. Get the book!
Interview with the Indomitable Jenn Shelton
Least I forget . . . there is a short film about Jenn called Outside Voices which follows her from place to place as she lives in her van, traverses spectacular trails and jumps naked into alpine lakes. The film doesn’t follow any sort of plot other than to give people a look into her bohemian life. In the last scene she is playing a game that involves sprinting, chugging beer and shooting a beer can off a fence.
I’ve always been fascinated by people who live an adventurous life (at the moment we are on our own adventure in Alaska and Canada), so it was exciting to speak with Jenn. I’ve been following her on social media ever since reading Born to Run and it seems that she is always exploring some epic place.We happened to be in Juneau at the same time, we were there for the Juneau Marathon and Jenn was in town for Geoff Roe’s mountain running camp.
We met in the upstairs of a pizza restaurant at 9:00 pm, so you will hear some background noise in the interview. I hope you enjoy getting to know Jenn Shelton a little better. Follower her on Twitter and Instagram @sheltonjenn. She and a friend are working on a coloring book for runners. If you are interested in supporting the project (not sure if they are doing a kickstarter campaign or what) you can direct message her on Instagram.
Also Mentioned in This Episode . . .
Angie’s Summer Reading List
- Daring Greatly, Rising Strong & Braving the Wilderness by Brene Brown
- Capture -Unravel the Mystery of Mental Suffering by David Kessler
- The Places that Scare You -A Guide to Fearlessness by Pema Chodron
- Drive -The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel Pink
- Devoured -How What We Eat Defines Who We Are by Sophie Egan
- Mom & Me by Maya Angelou
- Blitzed- Drugs in the Third Reich by Norman Ohler
- Rabid by Bill Wasik
- What to Remember When Waking by David Whyte
- The Book of Joy by Dalai Lama & Desmond Tutu
- I’m Judging You by Luvvie Ajayi
- Eating Mindfully by Susan Albers
- The Upside of Irrationality by Dan Ariely
- The Spy by Paulo Coelho
- Lots of fiction…. The Otherland Series by Tad Williams, White Fang & The Call of the Wild by Jack London, The Three Musketeers by Andre Dumas, The Bear and the Nightengale by Katherine Arden, The Secret Place by Tana French, Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery, and How to Walk Away by Katherine Center.
CBDMD Freeze Roller -uses all-natural CBD Oil to help your body to heal and recover fast. Use coupon code MTA20 for 20% off any of their products.
Healthiq.com -Marathon Training Academy is sponsored by *Health IQ*, an insurance company that helps health conscious people get special rates on life insurance. Go to healthiq.com/mta to support the show and learn more.
Google Play -For a limited time, get $10 off your first audio book by visiting g.co/play/mta.
Honest Tea -With great-tasting, healthy, USDA organic beverages, Honest Tea offers both a refreshingly transparent product and outlook. Visit Honesttea.com/podcast today.