The Tour du Mont-Blanc is the most famous trail running route in the world, and for good reason. Wandering over mountain trails from France, to Italy, to Switzerland and back into France, the “TMB” footpath includes some of the most iconic mountain terrain anywhere.
We believe this trip will be a transformational experience on many levels. You will be inspired by the natural beauty of the Alps, challenged by the distance around Mont Blanc (roughly 165k), and get to hang out with Trevor, Angie, and fellow MTA podcast fans!
The tour starts on July 11th 2024. Please email us if you want to join in the fun! Below you will find the itinerary, cost, and what’s included in this tour. Just a heads up that there are only 3 spots available.
Running Retreat in the Alps (Trip Details)
This will be a private guided Tour organized by local tour company Run the Alps. You can hear an interview with the owner Doug Mayer on episode 421.
Run the Alps will handle our lodging, meals, and baggage transfer between hotels. All you need to do is run/hike, enjoy the views, and the amazing mountain culture of 3 countries. As you will see below our longest day will be 21 miles. We are not planning to run the whole time! Most of the time we will be hiking.
- Day 1 – Chamonix, France: 3-star hotel: arrive, explore town, go for a shakedown run.
- Day 2 – Chamonix, France: 3-star hotel, breakfast included: 10-12 mi, 3000ft ascent and descent. Shorter option available.
- Day 3 – Les Contamines, France: 3-star hotel, breakfast and dinner included: 14 mi, 4530 ft ascent, 4130 ft descent.
- Day 4 – Les Chapieux, France: mountain inn, breakfast and dinner included: 12 mi, 4320 ft ascent, 3050 ft descent.
- Day 5 – Courmayeur, Italy: 3-star hotel, breakfast included: 17 mi, 4744 ft ascent, 5830 ft descent.
- Day 6 – Courmayeur, Italy: 3-star hotel, breakfast included: rest day or optional run to Rifugio Bonatti. 19 mi, 4035 ft ascent, 4985 descent.
- Day 7 – La Fouly, Switzerland: 3-star hotel, breakfast and dinner included: 21 mi, 4480 ft ascent, 5040 ft descent.
- Day 8 – Trient, Switzerland: hikers inn, breakfast and dinner included: 19mi, 4820 ft ascent, 5870 ft descent.
- Day 9 – Chamonix, France: 3-star hotel, breakfast included: 18 mi, 6266 ft ascent, 7250 ft descent.
- Day 10 – Depart
Included in the tour package:
- Round-trip Geneva airport transfers
- Three-star hotel and mountain hut bookings
- Breakfast each morning
- Dinners each night, except in Chamonix and Courmayeur; restaurant recommendations will be provided
- Luggage transfers
- Run the Alps Guide to Trail Running in the Alps
- Detailed run descriptions printed on durable, waterproof paper, complete with a run profile, time estimates, bail-out options
- Regional information & maps
- Access to our Summer Helpline for questions along the way
Not Included the tour package:
- Transport to/from trail heads if you choose to bail out
- Drinks with dinners
- Trail snacks and lunches – our materials include info of where to stop along the way or if bringing trail snacks is a better option based on the day
- Extra charges made at accommodations like room service or laundry
*Single supplements, or upgrading to a private room are not the norm in much of the Alps. In much of Europe, including the Alps, hotels charge based on the number of occupants, not just a flat rate for the room. It is more expensive to be in a private single room. Therefore, they charge a single supplement fee to cover the increased price difference for solo guests. On their trips, in some of the remote locations and small villages, single private rooms are often not available at any cost.
We have 3 spots left on this tour! Please email us if you want secure a spot or if you have more questions.
We have 5 spots left on this tour! Please email us if you want secure a spot or if you have more questions.